Overall Purpose Of The Job
To be responsible for and provide clear leadership in the delivery of professional and effective medical services for clients of MedAire to the highest standards of excellence.
- Oversee and manage all medical delivery activities pertaining to the MedAire Global Response Center. (GRC).
- Provision of general aviation and maritime medical direction to GRC team.
- Oversee case management oversight for all case types including:
- GlobalLifeline Crew Support.
- Maritime Services.
- Gate screening / Passenger prescreening / AED program.
- At a medical operational level, be responsible for the organization of the GRC medical department to ensure full due diligence in delivering quality medical management of cases, ensuring a “hands on” medical supervision of cases at the GRC, namely:
- Assessing medically related calls received by the GRC.
- Provision of medical advice services to clients.
- Arrangement and supervision of appropriate medical support for MedAire clients, including the obtaining of medical reports, organizing referrals, medical monitoring, recommending appropriate means of travel.
- Ensuring the enhancement of client operational procedures.
- Focused case direction and diligence in the transmission and case monitoring process.
- Ensure structured team training and development with respect to all relevant aspects of delivery of medical services, Aviation and Maritime.
- Ensure the close working relationship and structured integration between:
- The GRC medical team and operations team.
- The GRC medical team and MedLink medical team.
- The GRC medical team and International SOS medical team.
- Provide focused, medically appropriate case management direction and oversight in accordance with MedAire quality standards and medical/operational protocol, and receive appropriate escalations from all relevant staff in this regard.
- Responsible for medical team induction, refresher and continuous training and orientation and to assist in the development of a continuous quality improvement program.
- Oversee medical staff performance including GRC doctors, nurses, Maritime Medical Advisor (and MedLink physicians through the MedLink Medical Director).
- Ensure that MedAire GRC assistance programs are fully procedurilized, integrated into the GRC operations and operating in compliance with client service level expectations.
- Work in conjunction with and support the VP, Aviation Health Services, Operations Manager, and VP, Global Response Services in all aspects of the job role as it relates to medical operational case management.
- Contribute to the development of Medical Team Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and implement these as a management tool within the GRC operations.
- To assist in the development of clinical guidelines together with the medical teams in MedLink and the Intl.SOS Group network.
- Maintain all client information which may be encountered either directly or indirectly while in the performance of the job in strict confidence in accordance with HIPAA and/or any other pertinent confidentiality regulations.
- To be responsible for quality assurance in regard to the provision of operational medical services. This will include case audit and review service recovery, assessment of ‘near misses’ and a structured implementation of measures to further enhance delivery of services as a result.
- To ensure that appropriate medical outcomes are consistently attained as a result of MedAire cases.
- Work with the Regional Operations Manager, VP, Global Response Services VP, and Aviation Health Services, in assuming responsibility for service recovery and ensuring that a workable service recovery system is in place for programs pertaining to relevant client groups.
- Assist with training of GRC personnel in providing the specific duty of care and develop operations procedures for this purpose and for providing a standard of reference as this relates to operational delivery of medical services.
- Support of Network Department in prioritization of network development focus as this applies to the network resource needs of GRC operations, Aviation and Maritime.
- To actively assist in the development of the provider network servicing GRC operations, especially in regard to aviation health, maritime health, specialist referrals, hospitalizations and evacuation destinations on behalf of the respective clients.
- Work closely with the Network Department to build, accredit and continually assess the quality of care provided by medical and related service providers.
- Involvement in fostering goodwill ad support with related key medical providers to integrate them fully into the MedAire customer service philosophy and customer defined service standards.
- To be available to effectively communicate with Sales and Marketing staff and clients for discussion and problem solving of medical delivery issues relating to provision of medical operational assistance services.
- To participate in appropriate social and professional activities to enhance the profile and promotion of MedAire services.
- To assist in explaining MedAire’ medical services to prospective and existing clients upon request from the Marketing Department.
- Responsibility to report in conjunction with the VP, Aviation Health Services and VP, Global Response Services, statistically and qualitatively on operational delivery of services in regard to medical case management, and identify key trends and priorities in regard to these.
- To keep accurate records including statistical information where appropriate including updating case files.
- To attend supervision, training and meetings as required.
- To work within and promote all MedAire policies and procedures.
- To carry out other reasonable duties as requested by line management.
- To work flexible hours as appropriate to the needs of the post.
- To be accountable for your workload and movements to .line management.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Aviation Medicine
- Accident and Emergency Medicine
- Work effectively with non-medical staff
- Integrate medical information and produce recommendations to clients
- Present medical information to non-medical staff and clients
- Effectively balance medical needs with commercial considerations
- Computer literate in MS Outlook, MS Word key board skills
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Empathetic manner
- Confident clinical decision-making skills
- Effective time management
- Team player
- Cultural awareness
Required Work Experience
- Experience in Intensive Care, Assistance Medicine, Family Medicine, Maritime Medicine, Pediatrics, and/or tele-medicine are preferred
- Experience in Aviation medicine and Accident and Emergency medicine is preferred.
- Full current registration to practice medicine in USA.
- Fluent in English (writing and speaking skills).
- Spanish and/or any other language would be an advantage.
Travel / Rotation Requirements
The GRC Medical Director work duties are divided into:
- Business hours as required
- Medical Director on Duty (MDOD): After training complete, and a timeframe coordinated with the Regional Medical Director, the GRC Medical Director will join the MDOD Team. The responsibilities for this include taking a rotational after hours on-call, estimated to be 1 week out of 4-6, but could change subject to business needs.
- Travel requirement varies. Expected to be about 1 week per quarter.
- All time off, or work-related travel, must be approved by Regional Medical Director, in part to ensure there is PHL MD coverage of the platform in the absence of the GRC MD.